Back to Nature

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Back to Nature”.

16 comments for “Back to Nature

1. April 15, 2016 at 5:40 pm

another work of exceptional beauty and strength. i love your pacing here. makes me think of the characters from Story of the Eye, all grown up. nicely done.

2. TFP
    April 17, 2016 at 4:49 am

As usual you leave the reader wanting…what happened to Caroline?

Thank you RG!

3. Stephanie
    April 17, 2016 at 5:52 pm

This was a very interesting piece. I appreciate how you give precise clues about the characters and their motives and let the reader figure out the rest.

I don’t think Elizabeth is a bad person. In fact, it seems her problem is that she cares too much. And maybe she picks Caroline because she was just like her once.

Thanks for the new piece. I almost overlooked it.

4. Elutris
    April 20, 2016 at 7:13 am

Thank you for making the time to create another haunted, haunting world and for sharing it with us, despite all your other obligations!

As usual, your pacing is spellbinding. It’s always fascinating to me to observe what authors choose leave out in a story, and thus leave to the reader’s imagination, vs what they choose to show. I had a fun time imaging the many possible ways that Caroline might have gone from sitting at the bar alone to sitting between Elizabeth and Emile in the car. Of course, my imagination was assisted by my memories of your other stories of premeditated menage-a-trois.

I’m also fascinated by your ability to create characters that are at least partially “bad,” but still sympathetic, even to those of us who are not necessarily interested in or turned on by “badness.” Like Caroline, I am seduced by your stories even though some of them also repel me. I can’t stop reading, despite a slight sense of disgust. My emotional conflict at the end of this story helped me imagine how Caroline might have felt when she returned home (to answer TFP’s question above).

I doubt you could convert me to S&M (at least not through words alone ;), but you have certainly given me a better understanding of those who do enjoy it…

Bravo!

• April 20, 2016 at 11:00 am

Oh, my aim is not to convert you to anything. Just to offer you other vistas.

5. Lee
    May 22, 2016 at 3:03 pm

“There is, in this humid tropical jungle of a place,
    a deeply-hidden undercurrent of a more awful dark,
    the lurker below that feeds voraciously
    on the tainted souls of the twice-broken innocent,
    gnawing the gleaming bones of devoured reason,
    from which the flesh of tattered morality fell long since,
    a rotten waft of scent where sweetness rises in equal measure,
    the ephemeral vapour escaping into the wasting night
    with memory of husks, and feeling, and a search gone restless,
    as dawn breaks across the scene of tomorrow’s empty horrors.”

Such good stuff, Muse. x 😉

6. Tory
    September 13, 2016 at 9:15 am

i’m new to this genre and loving your writing…….. trying to be inspired to try writing myself……… this piece made me squirm
    but I could not turn away. The mind is an amazing instrument..

• September 16, 2016 at 8:26 pm

As Hemingway said, “All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know” and then go from there.

7. Valerie R
    July 18, 2017 at 1:16 am

This was delightfully “icky” to me – the sense of coersive-ness and making Caroline an object adds to this. I’m new to your writing, but will continue to read and comment! THanks

8. Seldom
    August 12, 2017 at 9:03 pm

Back to nature? Is it nature that drives us to seek pleasure? Is it nurture that takes us down divergent paths? How does a cocktail of humiliation and self loathing; power and submission; fear and punishment come to replace mutual respect, care and empathy?
    Is Caroline’s loneliness the driver to accept the invitation? Do Emile and Elizabeth need her wretchedness to feel good about themselves?
    We are such complex beings and you RG are a master of exposing the layers.

• August 13, 2017 at 10:26 am

Those are all amazingly good questions. I’m glad the story prompted you to consider them

• Seldom
        August 13, 2017 at 7:15 pm

Yes but in my white bread, beige part of the world I don’t know where I can go to get insights into the answers.

• Remittance Girl
          August 14, 2017 at 9:14 am

First, I’m not sure there are universal answers. And that’s fine. There are truths for each of us, and the often lie nestled in our own psyches, in our backgrounds, our families, the veneer of civility that covers our desires. I think maybe part of it is to let go of the lure of absolute answers.

• Seldom
            August 14, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Yes I think you are right. I have been thinking about this since my last response and I suspect i am trying to make sense of something with my head that probably best understood with my heart.
            A line from Mary Oliver’s ‘Wild Geese’ comes to mind:
            “You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves”