26 comments for “Karaoke Night (His)

1. Heloise
    December 3, 2009 at 6:59 am

Beautiful. both of them

2. Jayne
    December 10, 2009 at 10:14 am

oh I enjoyed this very much. thank you!

• Ryan
      April 2, 2016 at 3:15 am

I agree

3. Jennifer
    January 11, 2010 at 5:42 am

You ask people to comment, and I try to, occasionally. But I have to admit I find it hard to comment appropriately – it’s a challenge to put into words what these stories mean to me. I suppose given the subject matter, it’s terribly personal and feels a bit like revealing yourself to a stranger?

At any rate, I like the sweetness of this story and the idea of these two lost souls finding each other and sharing something as a result. A lot of your stories have to do with power or games of some kind – but this is straightforward sex being enjoyed for its own sake as the characters find a measure of comfort in each other. I like this one very much. 🙂

4. Jenna!
    March 1, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I swear, everything I read of yours turns into a new fantasy of mine. They’re starting to pile up and taunt me.

July 19, 2014 at 5:00 am

i liked this one better than the hers, although knowing both points of view was very nice

• Des
      November 4, 2016 at 9:03 pm

I felt this too

6. Simon
    July 22, 2014 at 11:43 am

This, as well as the “hers” one, have strange non-letter symbols appearing midword on my browser (Chrome)

• July 25, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Argh, I don’t know why this happens. Lemme fix it. Thanks for letting me know.

• Charity
        August 6, 2017 at 7:39 am

It’s when u use commas or apostrophes. For example, don’t

7. patrick fitz
    September 28, 2014 at 8:36 am

I have wondered after reading your short fiction, just what you really want from your responders, an evaluation or a relationship?
    Your prose reflects so accurately the magic of intimacy….and for the 51st time I have wanted to reach out and tell you how sensuous and beguiling a writer you are. Have you been there with me all along? Watching, behind me in those amazing ventures that become the only true connections we humans ever have?
    When a passage reads this well, I so want to know more about you, but then I suspect I have had a glimpse of what your kimono looks like. Deep purple, multi-layered and mystical like so many of your characters.

Thank you for your efforts, decency, and beauty.
    Patrick

• September 28, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Hello Patrick,
      Thank you for the lovely compliment. I’ve always puzzled over what the reader/writer relationship is because from a literary theory perspective, your relationship is really with the text itself, not the writer. Sometimes I think that relationship is really like a dance, where the writer and reader are dancers, but the text is the music and without it there is no dance at all. Yes, both dancers need volition and purpose – to participate, to give generously of themselves to the effort of engagement – but it is the music (the story) that makes it a dance at all. Otherwise, it’s just two humans moving funny 😛

8. Judy
    October 27, 2014 at 6:02 pm

I’ve been reading your stories for some months now, but always felt shy to comment because I am very much in awe of your skills as a writer. But I also recognise that giving feedback is important, so here goes.

What I loved most about this story (and I love all your stories) is the truth in it, the absolute honesty to your characters and their humanity and their imperfections. I can also feel the wetness and noise and hustle of Vietnam in your descriptions. They feel authentic, and add great depth to the story.

You have the gift of writing everyday things in a way that is fresh and new. “A cruel little drill that took him between the eyes and bored bloodless holes in his skull.” “breasts like scoops of ice cream topped with dark, dark raspberries”. You write wonderful sentences, and your writing has a musical, rhythmic cadence.

Thank you, and please keep writing.

9. Lauren
    January 6, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Remittance Girl,
    (if you don’t mind answering), which POV did you write first? And how did it influence the second; if at all?

10. MoonDancer
    July 10, 2015 at 9:42 pm

This made me hurt.
    Love your stories.
    Thank you for making me feel.
    They are beautiful captures of the human condition.

11. Greg
    February 27, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Hi I read this one first but must read the female perspective. I really believe Robert to be a selfish lover all about him and his priapic state. It would have worked for me if Robert gloried in Susan’s body, feel, smell and taste and made a more thorough exploration of Susan’s body… neck, lips, shoulders, armpits before even going south. Susan’s orgasm felt unrealistic. Robert did not engage with her to the extent.

The karaoke room setting is superb… entertainment meets taste, meets music in the limbic system and of course the arousal which travels through bones, brains and balls when the note and key hits… I didn’t mention tempo… I prefer house or jazz but bravo

12. Leo
    May 12, 2016 at 9:38 am

Epic, you can taste the sweat on the skin. Arousing. There is such trembling possibility there, on the cusp of disaster or greatness. Thank you for this.

13. Carolyn
    July 7, 2016 at 11:49 pm

You paint a beautiful picture. I’m in awe of your talents.

14. Michael
    March 9, 2017 at 9:36 pm

Thank you for writing. I have read both the story POV’s. I am curious to know which one you wrote first?

15. Scalable
    March 19, 2017 at 6:20 pm

Bravo. This is really good writing from both perspectives.

16. portia
    July 13, 2017 at 11:42 pm

That was beautiful. Beautiful, beautiful writing. How you paint with words move me to tears. Thank you.

17. Kat
    July 30, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Loved reading both. Just wonderful

18. Charity
    August 6, 2017 at 7:41 am

I really love your style of writing. It’s deep and raw and not just about sex. How do u do it? Make a story crawl deep in someone’s head and plant a seed that grows into a home of wonderment and raw undulated passion. It’s intense and painfully beautiful. I absolutely love your writing.