Kiss of Fire

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Kiss of Fire”.

43 comments for “Kiss of Fire

1. jess hopkins
    July 7, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I liked that. Nice juxtaposition between the businesslike narrator and her more ‘abstract’ opponent. And I’m always a sucker for characters with a non-standard relationship with extreme pain.
    I look forward to reading that when you finish tinkering with it.

2. Paul.
    July 7, 2013 at 5:42 pm

RG,
    god, woman, you can write.
    This made my neck hair stand up, and I shuddered, horribly brilliant.
    Paul.

3. July 7, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Wow. I didn’t anticipate how much I’d like this. You have a way with expressing darker emotions and making the reader feel all that. Makes you want to take a second look at people I tend to fear and want to look away from.

4. Des Sert
    July 7, 2013 at 9:21 pm

What a brilliant piece… the fact that you leave the internal reasons for the act to the reader’s own imagination and thought is simply GOLD… Thank you

5. Ashes
    July 8, 2013 at 5:43 am

Deep, dark, tormented and not narrated to death. All the fantastic things always offered forth in your writing. Like snow white’s heart offered up by the huntsman.

6. July 8, 2013 at 10:47 am

Hooked and anchored from beginning to end..Girl, you can write! Not sure yet what to make of this, or even if I have to make something of it…horrified, fascinated…and wanting more…not necessarily of this, but more of your work. Wanna see the tinkered end…Excelsior!

7. July 8, 2013 at 11:26 am

You hooked me in the descriptive way of this male character, as my memory played on first time I met my tattoo artist who fit this bill to the tee! Feeling as this female character as well…Wow can’t wait for the finish of this!

8. July 8, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Deeply moved and disturbed. Sorrow & anger. The story is echoing in my thoughts, as if it had become my own memory.

9. TFP
    July 8, 2013 at 6:15 pm

RG,

After reading many of your pieces, I often have a mixture of emotions that run the spectrum from joy to frustration. I really enjoyed this but when I finished I wanted more, I want to know more of these two characters past, present, and future. A trait of a good writer, leave you leave the reader wanting more!

Your work is very much appreciated!

10. Madeline Moore
    July 10, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I love that you write about fucking ugly men. The strong sense of foreboding I felt as she went up to his room made me shudder, although I knew he wasn’t going to hurt her. I guess I knew he wasn’t going to fuck her again, either. As mentioned, I like the fact that most of what’s going on with him is left out. I don’t imagine the reader should or could know more about him than the narrator.

You are the only writer I “know” who posts unfinished work. Very brave. When I was very young I went to the Banff School of Fine Arts for six weeks to attend the Creative Writing program. Our primary tutor was Canadian poet Al Purdy. He was a “people’s poet.” He entered the classroom on the first day, set his briefcase down, opened it, withdrew a bottle of beer and opened that. He proceeded to read a poem to us that he was having trouble finishing. He then asked for suggestions. We were all dumbstruck but eventually some of the students offered ideas. And the writing class was underway.

I imagine you must be a wonderful teacher, too.

11. Deliriumtree
    July 19, 2013 at 10:20 am

I had no idea where this was going, but I loved it. Although, I’m confused, what did she bater for in exchange for the custom handles for her oak loving neighbor? Was it a car? Pretty sure it was a car, but not entirely sure. He could have an old grocery cart laying around, or one of those nifty rolling carts old ladies use, all it says is “it” Use of a car maybe? Would her neighbor really give her a whole car just for drawer handles? Sweet! That’s lunacy though, no matter how nice the drawer handles are. Maybe his standards are really low. Maybe he hates that car and is getting a prius. Sorry, I read that bit 10 times, and it shouldn’t matter, but I’m me, so I’ve spent way too long thinking about this.

• July 21, 2013 at 6:43 pm

She just bartered the use of the car, to take her sculpture and the tools over.

12. C
    October 20, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Damn.
    I didn’t expect to like that as much as I did.
    That was… Uncomfortable and very beautiful.
    Thank you.

13. Hello, Kitty
    January 18, 2014 at 4:11 am

fan. for. life.

14. Melanie
    February 18, 2014 at 4:28 am

Well written and captivating. It was dark and deep with pain and longing.

15. Guinivere
    April 25, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I’ve read many of your stories, RG. This is the first that has made me cry, not at the time, but later, when I was describing it to someone else.
    The psychological pain and self-loathing that drives this man’s actions is heart-breaking. Sorry to use such an overused word. The tantalising hints regarding his pathology do not serve to mitigate anguish on his behalf.
    Thinking about the way he embraced Alicia and held her as he rolled onto the brand, like a willing sacrifice , affected me deeply.
    Your image of the litter on the surface of a beautiful pool of water , in reference to his chaotic appearance, was exquisite.
    My only question, not very important, was how a man who had outcast himself from society developed a good fingering technique? But as I said, that’s not important in this savage story.

• April 25, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Now that is an excellent question. The interesting thing about sex is that it’s never really about technique is it? It’s about listening to and observing the other person’s reactions sincerely. Doing more of what they seem to like and less of what they don’t react to. Don’t you think there’s an interesting parallel to listening? There’s a world of difference between a trained listener and someone who listens carefully and sincerely because they’re genuinely interested in what you’re saying. Having spent most of my life as an odd looking woman, I can assure you that acquiring expertise is really quite easy as long as you don’t mind sticking with your own kind.

On the subject of sacrifice – I’ve been thinking a lot about this, from a theoretical point of view. George Bataille wrote about it extensively in The Accursed Share (as a mode of disposing of excess in the general economy). He revisited it in his book Eroticism: Death and Sensuality. A number of French thinkers, particularly Lacan, also looked at it as a way to explain a certain type of jouissance. And in essence, what is Martyrdom but sacrifice? And there is always an erotic passion that surrounds this kind of surrendering up of the self.

• Angela
        March 2, 2016 at 4:41 pm

I know a guy who was very insecure and read everything he could about the female anatomy so he would be good in bed. Perhaps this would have been the case with this lost soul. He wanted to make sure he was prepared to fully pleasure a woman.

16. Sunny
    April 29, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Okay, huge fan but I actually wish I didn’t read this one. Not that it wasn’t interesting because it was. I can handle the way you finish you stories… Gaijin, Beautiful Losers, the Waiting Room. But this one is not finished. I need to know why he wants to make himself ugly. His Mom? Why did she not like him? I can handle it if I knew but I am guessing you are finished with the story so I will never know – which will play on my OCD like a bitch. I can handle a tragic ending because life is usually tragic within itself but I need closure.

But… you are the author so therefor it is your right to do as you please.

• April 30, 2014 at 5:53 pm

“I need to know why he wants to make himself ugly. His Mom? Why did she not like him?”

Ah, but you just answered your own question. See? I trust you to know instinctively. And you do.

17. Guinivere
    May 16, 2014 at 10:29 am

Hello again, RG.
    Thanks for your thoughtful comment of 25 th April.
    The point that was most striking to me was that it is easy to acquire sexual expertise as long as you stick to your own kind. The problem with sticking with your own kind is that first, you have to identify what your kind is. In itself that takes insight and guts. Some of us never make it that far. Then, finding the others and with it the chance of acceptance and, possibly, fulfilment. Sexual satisfaction would be the icing on that cake.
    Family, or people like them, is supposed to be your own kind. Often it doesn’t work out like that. Blair was rejected by his mother , which is enough to screw anyone over. He externalised his pain with the piercings, tattoos and finally, the brand. Despite his anti social appearance, he had managed to acquire good technique through attracting and being responsive to women. Were they his kind? He wouldn’t kiss them or allow them to look him in the face during sex. Does that mean they weren’t his kind? Was it because of his childhood trauma or self inflicted appearance? I don’t expect you to answer those questions.
    I’m labouring this point because I spend a lot of time thinking about kind, or kindred spirits, or being on the same wavelength , and why it is that people you feel at home with, or at one with, are so hard to find, let alone have sex with, and, having found them, keep them in your life. Too often they are the very people you need to let go with good grace and good wishes.
    Ok RG, that is quite enough from me for the moment.
    I take your point about the parallel with listening sincerely.
    Cheers,
    Guinivere

18. Lucia
    June 12, 2014 at 8:33 am

That was a very good story. Very well written and i like the mildly grotesque plot twist.

July 3, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Wow. It was hauntingly enticing. I love the way you can spin a few words into a whirlwind of explanation. It was incredible.

20. Anna
    July 13, 2014 at 10:44 pm

I loved it. So emotionally complicated, the need not to kiss temporarily in a phyical sense but eternally in the brand.

21. Kaye
    August 20, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I love this story. It was beautiful. I just do not understand why he wanted lips…..

• August 21, 2014 at 1:23 am

Why do YOU think he wanted lips. How does the story start?

• Patricia
        October 3, 2014 at 2:13 am

It is the kiss his mother never gave him. Now he is healing the maternal rejection trauma.

22. Patricia
    October 3, 2014 at 2:06 am

Waho!!! That’s was completely out of the ordinary and powerful! That’s a great mix of outstanding imagination and writing skills .

23. g
    March 21, 2015 at 7:10 am

this is your best work.
    if u had the time and inclination,
    this could make an excellent novel perhaps.
    or not, it’s perfect as is.
    thanks for your efforts.

24. veronica
    July 30, 2015 at 6:35 pm

love the depth of the character i found myself sympathizing with him and what could have caused him to become this way instead of focusing on the sex which is such a fresh change from most erotica stories out there.. thanks!

• July 31, 2015 at 11:30 pm

I’m really glad you enjoyed it. I actually do think it’s about sex still. Just sublimated.

25. K
    December 5, 2015 at 10:09 am

I did my want that to end.

Truly a well written one

26. Angela
    March 2, 2016 at 4:57 pm

That was a fascinating read with real depth. It brought out a lot of emotions, and I believe Blair and Alicia must have felt a deeper connection after the branding took place. I am not sure he would have shared his room with her and had her do the branding if he had not trusted her despite it being an act of pain. I know it is a work of fiction, but you created a very round character.

27. tiger
    April 4, 2016 at 1:38 am

I’m new to this site and am hooked. Your work encourages – no, demands – me to think, feel, wonder and want. And isn’t that what great writing is all about?

• April 15, 2016 at 11:02 am

I’m so glad it triggered that in you. It’s what I set out to do, although I don’t always succeed.

28. Claire
    April 28, 2016 at 11:52 am

You such a damned good writer…everything you write is beautiful, whether raw, twisted or tender, so very, very good.
    Brava, thank you, and wishing you well.

• April 30, 2016 at 11:42 am

It’s very kind of you to say so. When I read back over my work, I can see some duds, but hopefully, I get better as time goes on.

29. Claire
    April 28, 2016 at 11:54 am

P.S. OOPS ! I missed the you “are”

30. CoffeeBlood
    January 24, 2018 at 10:20 pm

Hi, new reader of your work and I must say it did not take long for me to become hooked. Your work gives me sort of a Bataille feel but at the same time, yours has a feel all to its own. This story in particular is my favourite so far and I can’t wait to see what else you’ve written. This story brought out such strange emotions from me. The way I related to him was strange. Not the tattoos but the scars and body mods. I would pierce my ears with safety pins and leave them in without changing over to rings. I would sew patches into my jacket with names and chemical constructs of drugs. I cannot wait to read more of your stories.

31. Hayley
    December 16, 2018 at 2:40 pm

To be honest I was just on this website to read some erotica. I was NOT expecting to find an incredibly talented writer with pieces that moved me, made me ache, made me cry, and made me think. Wow. Amazing. You really have a talent. Keep writing.

• February 1, 2019 at 3:04 pm

Hahahahah. I hijacked you! So glad you enjoyed it, Hayley.